I know it’s not the end of the technical year, but for me and my graduating buddies at UTD it is. It would be nicer if you could graduate from college with a semblance of control or sanity, because damn these past few months have killed me like nothing before. I have a really great group in my capstone class, though, so be sure to check out their work:
This goes out to all of them, as well as our advisor Kim, who has bent over backwards to make sure we have everything we need to do well.
This playlist is a little wonky, partially because there’s an unusual amount of garage rock, and partially because there are so many songs that are gendered (genderisasocialconstruct genderisasocialconstruct genderisasocialconstruct). Also note how many of the songs have a variant of “work” in them.
Can I just say that I have never identified with “I’m gonna make it through this year if it kills me” as much as I do now? (See track 5.)
1) The Way that You Work – Les Sexareenos
2) Progress Man – Bad Sports
3) Ready to Go! – Bare Wires
4) Take it from the Man – The Brian Jonestown Massacre
5) This Year – The Mountain Goats
6) Work – Jimmy Eat World
7) It Ain’t Easy – David Bowie
8) Stress Rap – Cannibal Ox
9) Woman at Work – Psalm One
10) Werkin’ Girls – Angel Haze
If you’re interested, here’s the video intro for my capstone presentation: